Thursday, October 23, 2008

Weight Loss Surgery

Last October I went to a seminar on WLS. I had been contemplating it for several years (and no not because of the whole Carnie Wilson craze) but because it seemed like a useful tool for my severe problem. However fear of not knowing more about it and wanting to make sure it was a last resort kept me from pursuing it further.

Well finally in 10/07 I thought I am 32 years old. I had promised myself I would have lost 100lbs by the time I was 30 and it didn't happen. What have I got to lose? I went it with scepticism but an open mind to hear and learn about WLS. I had been to this clinic prior when I was on a shake only diet (not successful as who doesn't want to eventually eat and when you are looking at 200 pounds to lose only having shakes ????). At the end of the seminar I was impressed. I mean really impressed. There has been so much research and gastric bypass has come even further than it was just 5 short years ago.

I began attending nutrition classes - starting weight 326. I started monthly classes in November '07 and continued those until May '08. Also in November I started gastric bypass classes - those ended in March '08. The education was great. The people were supportive.

Then came the insurance debate. Will they cover? Will they pay? I got my first denial letter - and ate myself into a frenzy. Six months of hard work and NOW they won't pay!!! I was frustrated and angry and stuffed the feelings with mozzarella cheese sticks, hamburgers, tacos, potato chips...whatever I could get my sticky little fingers on. Over the summer I continued to battle with insurance all the while continuing to eat.

During class I had lost about 14 lbs - I put that back on plus another pile of pounds. In September I wrote a letter to the bariatric coordinator and told her of my frustration and that communication and ceased from them - I wanted the surgery - I paid for classes - I was ready to go...then it felt like all the other diets - a failure - only I'd never been given the chance to succeed.

Well folks last Saturday after much debating again with insurance they have decided that I am a worthy candidate!!!!!!!!!! Of course, now I have all this excess weight to lose before the procedure. I have steps left to complete to prepare me further. But I am ready. This battle is my last one.

No comments: